The Australasian Housing Institute (AHI) is the professional association of people working and volunteering in the multi-disciplinary social housing industry in Australia and New Zealand. The AHI exists to unite and support a vibrant and self confident social housing profession across New Zealand and Australia. As a social housing professional in Australasia you are one of approximately 11,000 people working in paid and voluntary positions in public, community, Indigenous and supported housing services and in tenancy advice.
The AHI has grown from our 16 Founding Members in 2001 to a recognised professional association that:
- has a diverse membership of more than 800 individuals;
- has active branches around Australia and New Zealand linking and supporting people locally;
- provides training and other professional development opportunities for more than 1500 housing professionals every year;
- provides Certified Housing Professional (CHP) accreditation awarded to housing professionals who have demonstrated a commitment to their profession and continuing professional development;
- recognises and rewards excellence in professional practice with the Housing Awards;
- produces the premier journal on social housing matters HousingWorks, hosts news portal for the social housing sector HousingINFO and issues monthly electronic newsletter for housing professionals HousingPeople.
Our purpose is to support people in achieving excellence in their work, and the best possible outcomes for their clients, local communities and their organisations. We do this through a range of services designed to promote and develop a skilled and professional sector.
What we do
The AHI offers members the opportunity to:
- Be recognised as a social housing professional – membership, awards, development of practice standards/accreditation, observance of our code of practice
- Make connections with your colleagues – events, publications, networks, branches, consultants and links
- Engage in social housing specific professional development – events, publications, networks, branches, qualifications Influence social housing policy and practice – comment, contribution, attendance.
AHI Strategic Plan
In recent years the AHI has established a solid foundation as the professional member organisation for people working in the public, community and private housing sectors. Through our Strategic Plan for 2016 – 2020 we aspire to remain the leading provider of professional development and accreditation services for housing professionals, by continuously building the value we deliver to our members and partners. Our Strategic Plan has been developed in the context of the rapidly changing and increasingly complex environment of the housing sector in Australia and New Zealand, and the resulting challenges and opportunities this presents for housing professionals.
Roll of Presidents
|Deborah Georgiou||2001 - 2002|
|Gina Pearson||2002 - 2003|
|Joan Ferguson||2003 - 2004|
|Rhonda Phillips||2004 - 2005|
|Malcolm Downie||2005 - 2007|
|Shane Edmonds||2007 - 2009|
|Lynden Pennicott||2009 - 2011|
|Tony Gilmour||2011 - 2013|
|Donald Proctor||2013 - 2015|
|Andrew Davis||2015 - Ongoing|