Continuing professional developmen (CPD) is how housing professionals maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives.
Housing professionals who are accredited as a Certified Housing Professional are required to participate regularly in CPD that is related to their role within the housing sector and maintain an online CPD Diary in the member portal.
CPD Activities and Points
Some activities that may be logged as continuing professional development include:
- Participating in industry-related* focus groups
- In-house education sessions
- Attending industry-related* conferences, workshops and seminars
- Having an article published in a peer-reviewed industry-related journal
- Postgraduate studies
Activities that are normal or regular work activities are not typically considered as CPD. For example, attending an in-house meeting or meeting with other stakeholders on a regular basis as part of your normal duties would not be considered CPD.
AHI Meeting Attendance - Attendance at AHI branch committee meeting, AHI board meeting, or AHI AGM
10 per meeting
Member of AHI Excellence Awards Judging Panel
50 per awards cycle
12 months from first Awards committee meeting
Review of HousingWORKS publications - Evidenced through review survey response
10 per edition reviewed
12 months from date of review
Participation in an industry-related seminar, training course or webinar
10 per half day or webinar
20 per day
Attendance at industry-related networking event* or AHI Awards Ceremony event
10 per event
Preparing author of application for AHI Professional Excellence in Housing Awards Program
10 per application
Participation in formal (structured, off-job) workplace training within the social housing industry
10 per half day
20 per day
Active member* in AHI LinkedIn group
Membership of industry-related professional association (other than AHI) or subscription to industry related publications (other than HousingWORKS)
10 CPD points per membership/subscription
12 months from start date of membership period - to be logged each year of renewal
Presentation, panellist, trainer or facilitator at an industry-related conference, workshop or seminar
40 per event
Contribution to HousingWORKS Vox Pop or 'Who's New at AHI' or 'Career in Housing'
20 per vox pop reply or interview
Published industry-related article, research paper or book, e.g. HousingWORKS, AHURI, University, LinkedIn
20 per short article
40 per long article,research paper or report
60 per book
12 months from publication date
Nationally recognised vocational qualification in related discipline (e.g. Nationally recognised Certificate or Diploma - NZQA or AQF or international equivalent)
50 per full qualification
Tertiary qualification in related discipline (e.g. Advanced Diploma, Degree or higher)
80 per qualification
Industry-related is defined as CPD that has a connection to the social housing sector. When determining if a claimed qualification or event meets the “related discipline and industry-related” criteria, it will be considered how it contributes to the individual’s social housing role/s.
Short article vs. Long article - as a guide, a short article is typically considered 1 page or less, or up to 500 words, whereas a long article is likely 2+ pages, or more then 500 words
Active member in AHI LinkedIn group, means the person has contributed to the group/s by commenting on a discussion, or starting a discussion on at least two occasions. This should be evidenced by uploading screenshots of your discussion activity.
Networking events are defined as events where industry-related professionals come together to connect, learn and share with like-minded professionals from other organisations, sectors or jurisdictions.
- Members who wish to apply to become and maintain Certified Housing Professional (CHP) accreditation are required to maintain an online CPD Diary.
- CPD diary entries for attendance at AHI events are automated, and therefore do not need to be entered by the member.
- Your CHP Certificate of Accreditation will only be activated whilst you maintain the required current CPD points for your accepted CHP accreditation level. Read more about CHP levels.
- CPD diary entries prior to 2019 have been imported from the retired member portal. These entries indicate system-created titles.
To update your CPD Diary:
1. Login to AHI website:
- Use Member Login button top right
- Username is your email address
- If you do not know your password, use the ‘request new password’ link
2. If you have not done so already, create your CHP Accreditation application:
- Navigate to: My Portal > My Content > CPD Diary>Additional Profile Information>Create CHP Accreditation
- Follow online instructions to record industry experience and highest industry related qualification
2. Navigate to: My Portal > My Content > CPD Diary
- Click on ‘Add CPD Diary Entry’ button
- CPD Activity Name: Enter title of event/training attended or title of article/book published
- CPD Details:
- Activity Completion Date – enter event date or date of publication
- Activity Provider or Publisher: enter name of organisation who organised the event or publisher’s name
- Description – enter additional details of activity to aid AHI in determining category and duration of activity
- Supporting Documentation – upload documents that may assist to evidence your participation in this activity, e.g. registration confirmation, certificate, diary entry
- CPD Points:
- If known, enter CPD points in the category that best describes the activity, e.g. ½ day or webinar = 10 points, full day = 20 points – see above for full points table